Old 05-12-2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Under ground part of the fennel

On Dec 5, 9:36 am, "James" wrote:
Yesterday I harvested my only fennel plant. It had a thick tap root
that looked like parsnip or horseradish. I left it outside because
there was a lot of soil clinging to the fine roots. Thinking I'll
clean it later and try cooking it. This morning I found it mostly
eaten by either raccoons or rabbits.

Anyone here know if it's good as human food or is it just good for
animal feed?

I have eaten several taproots, typically peeled, raw cut into sticks,
with olive oil dressing. To this day I eat radicchio and cardoon roots,
both of them pretty good, with a root smell which is somewhat like
licorice and which I find pleasant. I have never tried fennel but my
guess is it will be the same.