Old 06-12-2006, 12:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default chook manure breakdown

"Tish" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
"Tish" wrote in message

I, unfortunately, learned the hard way that very fresh horse

manure
is
enough to burn plants to death - I'm the only person I know who

can
kill rhubarb!

How on earth did you do that? By that I mean what did you do with

the
horse poop to manage to kill rhubarb?

I stupidly put very fresh (green) horse poo onto the rhubarb bed.
Rhubarb said "screw you" and promptly died a nasty brown, burnt

death.
I didn't think it was possible, but it is. Since I love rhubarb,

I'm
treating the replacement plants with a little more kindness!

I use very fresh horse poop all the time and have not (yet) had any
problems but then I also go a bit easy in the application rate if it's
very fresh (on the little and often principle) . Were the rhubarbs
well watered at the time of the offense or did you just use too much?

I sympathise as I also love rhubarb.