Old 05-12-2006, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman cineman is offline

Default Pronunciation

You say teenus, I say Tienus
You say tinus i say thank goodness for the English language, and
weather, It is what keeps folks talking round here.

Just think trhe subjects which have maintained the longest threads have
beenn weather, pronunciation and grammar.
As in mild autumns, teenus/tinus/tienus. and its, it's, it is and the use of
the apostophe..

Now back to gardening, here in West Midlands last night the temperature
climbed to 14 degrees C now for time of year that is positively tropical.
Global warming would be welcome if it wasnt for the High blustery winds we
have had for several days now, which have just about demolished a wooden
arch which had been up for about 12 years, only held in place now by
clematis and honeysuckle either side.
Another job for me next year
regards
Cineman

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"David Rance" wrote after Bob Hobden wrote:

"Farm1" wrote
Just curious, I heard someone on the radio teh other day talking about
Viburnum tinus and they pronouced tinus in a way I'd never heard
before ao it made me wonder if I've been doign it wrong for all these
years.

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they pronouce
tinus?

My book on plant name Latin says... teen-us

In which case it should be Veeburnum Teenus!

Correct. With the long i pronunciation as in keen not the short i as in
tin.

So in Latin it's correctly ... Vee-bur-num teen-us ... according to my
book.

--
Regards
Bob H