Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Pronunciation

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
Just curious, I heard someone on the radio teh other day talking

about
Viburnum tinus and they pronouced tinus in a way I'd never heard
before ao it made me wonder if I've been doign it wrong for all

these
years.

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they

pronouce
tinus?

Many people say TYnus which is probably "wrong" and is a very

Anglophone
pronunciation;
I would have said it that way until I went to Italy and lived in

Germany for
a while and became pretentious
and now I would say TINNus or maybe TEEnus but I think the former is
probably more accurate.
All that really matters is that you say it the same as all yer

friends; no
one really pronounces these names very accurately anyway.
In Germany, the pronuncaition of the latin name for Pine tree

(Pinus) always
raised a few schoolboy titters in sad English speaking
lads who had watched too many Benny Hill shows.

How about lichen?
Some same litchen but I always found liken to be much more manly and
forceful;
it is possible that both are wrong anyway.

Des in Dublin where de best English is spoke