Old 06-12-2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default January Overseeding

Buck Turgidson wrote:
A few years ago (before the Internet), I heard that overseeding a lawn here
in the DC area in January was a good thing to do. The idea was that the
seed would work itself into the soil during the daily freeze/thaw cycles,
and by spring it would germinate and thicken the lawn.

I can't find any references to this practice. Did I dream this, or is this
still practiced? Thanks.

Heard this discussed on a gardening radio show this week for here in
northern DE.
Will work but seed will not germinate until ground is warm (they said
70 deg. F). If not snowed over, you're mostly feeding the birds. A
later seeding before a late snow, maybe March, said to be better.

Frank