Old 06-12-2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default Photo copyright violations - help!

Hi there Tennis,
We have had some in depth discussions on image copyright etc., even have a
couple of lawyers in our group.
I would check into software that gives a message of copyright protection.
Jay Pfahl's has it on his pics. I tried to copy a pic to compare with my
photo & no go!!!!

Also I would definitely write back & answer this way:- YES, YES & I will.
In fact I find it amusing that they ask you please not to write again.
(((LOL))) We should all write & tell them to take your pictures down.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

tennis maynard wrote:
Due to a sleep disorder I am often awake in the middle of the night
and often spend the time researching orchids on the web. Trichopilias
are often the subject; last night I discovered two photos of mine
pirated from my site and displayed (though now in black and white) on
a commercial website (based in Italy, I believe) as their stock
photos. You can view these he

http://www.americanrareorchids.com/c...ME=Trichopilia

The original pics of T.sanguinolenta and T.turialvae are from my page
and can be seen at:

http://www.orchidcourt.com/tricpics.html

I recognized both of the other trichopilia pics (what can I say? I'm a
tricho nut!), one as belonging to a well-known US commercial grower of
my acquaintance (the other I've seen on Jay Pfahl's IOSPE page but I
don't know if the copyright holder may have also given permission to
ARO, though I doubt it)and notified them (they responded and noted
that they have now found additional pics of theirs illegally used on
the site also) as well as emailing the offenders directly concerning
my two pics, politely noting my ownership and requesting they remove
the pics. Here is the reply I got (in toto):

photos are in black and white: are you God and these orchids are
yours? please don't write again

I'm both dismayed and surprised by the reply. Any recommendations as
to options for further action short of an expensive lawsuit? This is
new territory for me; I have been asked for the use of some of my pics
before and have always allowed it in noncommercial usage, but I have
made a general practice of denying permission in commercial cases.
There is a copyright notice displayed on the index page of my site; I
guess I'll have to go to the trouble of putting it on every page, but
I don't think that will stop the problem as far as intransigents like
this are concerned.

Anyone have any experience or concrete suggestions in this area?

Tennis Maynard