Old 06-12-2006, 04:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default So how do I kill off a heron thats eating my koi

On 6 Dec 2006 08:06:01 -0800, "default" wrote:

So, if I'm spelunking and see a heron attacking some cave koi, would
you suggest I bag 'em with a .22 or a 12ga?

First off, if you're "spelunking" you don't do it much. I've never heard
another caver refer to "spelunking" except with a bit of a sigh. It's true
that we often are members of the National Speleological Society, but cavers
almost universally refer to themselves as "cavers," not "spelunkers."
Second, almost all cavers adhere to the philosophy of "Take nothing but
pictures, leave nothing but tracks, kill nothing but time." Third, using
any type of gun underground is a very bad idea. You are surrounded by
rock. There is an extremely high possibility of ricochet. Also the sound
would be deafening. You might be able to get away with a .22 but the
report of a 12 ga would probably cause permanent damage. Fourth, it is
quite illegal in many states to remove anything from a cave.

(sorry, I just had to.)

It was really funny in my head but might not be so now that it's typed.

No sweat. I mentioned that caves were one of my "hot buttons." :^)

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Illiterate? Write for FREE help