Old 06-12-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default How to stop it from growing

"philip" wrote in message
Hi,
I have just cut down a wisteria, to prevent any further
damage to the
roof. What could be done to stop it from growing again, for good?
A friend
suggested salt but I am sure there must be a right chemical for the
job.

Please think a bit longer, this is too lovely to die. It won't harm
your house if you do your bit. Prune it and train it properly and it
will be a joy for the rest of your life.
First job is to install several good horizontal wires on your wall up
to the height you want the plant to reach (and what you can safely
manage)
Since you've cut it down it will respond by making lots of new growth
next year, select as many of those as you need and tie them in to your
wires in a shape that pleases you to make a framework that will be the
basis of your new feature. Tip any shoots that over reach their
allotted space. Next year tie in any well placed new shoots you want
to keep and in August cut back to one or 2 buds any side shoots that
spring from the older shoots. Keep doing that and thinning things out
if they get too overcrowded in subsequent years and you will be
horrified every time you remember you wanted to kill it.

--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp