Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default chook manure breakdown

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

it goes (i don't think i'm the world's best composter, quite

frankly).

Dont' beat yourself up about not being a great composter :-)) The old
traditional way of composting (bins that need turnign regularly) is
for the birds IMHO. I now do lots of differnt types of composting and
they all work - sheet composting, trench composting (ocassionally),
tumble bins and anaerobic bins (the ones that sit on the ground opena
t the bottom with a lid on top). the traditional bins are now just
used as colelction points for composting material, but even if I don't
get roudn to using that material in the other forms of compost, it too
eventually rots down into usable 'compost'.

this was my thinking - it won't go to waste, it's just a question of how
bloody long it might take. i am keen to get a tumbler, because that's
something i know i can put the (minimal) effort into to get it right so i
have my end product, such as it might be, pretty quickly & easily.

tbh, i found it best when we were just burying our compostibles directly in
the ground. truly! but then i got this idea that if i could make lots of
loverly compost, it would be terribly useful (which is also true - hence my
interest in a tumbler). i find it really hard to get bulk though -
everything breaks down sooner or later, but still only leaves me with about
a teaspoon of compost g.

my neighbour amazes me in that she has loads of horse poo & NEVER

uses it! i
say she's doing me a huge favour but she says i'm doing her a huge

favour!!

I have the same situation with my neighbour. Licky for us that they
don't know any different.

true, but afaik her horse could keep the entire road in poo with no effort
;-) i am trying to turn her around about a few things... the other day i was
bemoaning how sad i was that my yellow sticky traps (which i put up for
these little black flies that were all over everything [midges?] but now
thankfully eradicated) were beginning to catch lots of predator species - i
got a little lizard, hence the conversation - hoverflies & lizards &
ladybirds etc. she didn't know what hoverflies were, & so couldn't
understand why i'd be distressed that i was getting so many of them. i
briefly explained they're a "good bug", she said "there's no good bugs
except ladybirds!!" but even so, i'm happy just to sow the seeds of
thinking-about-things - what else can we do? and you never know where
thinking-about-things will take a person. as long as there's lots of horse
poo left for us, of course. ;-)
kylie