Old 07-12-2006, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Pronunciation

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/12/06 11:49, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Sacha" wrote
snip
I don't think it really matters very much at all
but oregano is such an Italian-food-associated herb that it's the one
that springs most easily to mind in terms of pronunciation. The thing
I find most disconcerting about American pronunciation is the use of
'erbs' for 'herbs'!

'Ere, 'Iggins - pass me an 'andful of those 'erbs.

In Ireland, a test of religion was supposedly to be asked what letter
came
after G in the alphabet.
Catholics said Haitch and Protestants said Aitch
according to ironic urban legend.
In Italy or France I get called Misstehrrrr Iggins and in Spain I get
called
Senor CCGGGHHHeeeeginns

Sounds like the supposedly true tale that Germans tested those whom they
thought to be English spies in France by getting them to say 'renard'.
The
received wisdom seemed to be that only those who had spoken French from
the
cradle could get it right!
But Aitch is correct because it's the only letter that has its own
definite
spelling and pronunciation in the dictionaries (AFAIK)
Pronouncing it 'haitch' has become more widespread but is incorrect and
maybe it's just me but I find it irritating!

Most people in Ireland say haitch and have done so for many years. If you
say aitch here you sound pretentious (or protestant :-).
Pronunciations change over time and space. Some Oirish pronunciations (e.g.
tay for tea and daycent for decent) are actually fossilised Elizabethan
pronunciations but now sound ignorant and paddyish to UK ears. Some sounds
do annoy me alright but some are just part of diversity to be enjoyed.
In Ireland, fake Hollywood pronunciations and accents kill me but that is
just me getting old (like characters from Friends) or people trying to hide
Irish or working class Dublin accents with what sounds posh but comes out
mangled.

Anyway I have decide that I will still refuse to say orEGGano :-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk