Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Turf beside existing lawn?

Tim Boyle wrote:
Eggs Zachtly Wrote:
Tim Boyle said:
-
I've just bought a house which has a large rear lawn, broken up with
missmatch of patios and random beds. I want to remove these and grow
grass which would match in with the existing lawn. I was going to
turf
these areas but am now worried that the two won't blend. Any
advise?-

Are you planning on using the same species of grass?

--

Eggs

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

Good point - I'm not that up on grass but I guess I could find out what
species it is before turfing - or seeding if that is simpler. Also I'm
told that turfing is now equivalent or cheaper than seeding 0 is that
your understanding?

Tim

--
Tim Boyle

Seeding is cheaper, at least here in the northeast USA. But we don't
know if you're in Boston or Bangladesh. For small areas though the
cost may be well worth it for the convenience. However, your best
chance of matching the existing grass is to have it identified. Is
there a local AG county service in your area?

If the areas are small relative to the existing lawn and the existing
lawn is the type of grass you want (ie suited for the climate, color,
texture, disease resistance, water needs, etc), then the best solution
would be to seed the new areas and overseed the whole thing at the same
time. This would be particularly effective if the rest of the area
could use some thickening up.

Alternatively, if the rest of the lawn isn't that great, you could kill
the whole thing off with Roundup, then reseed a week later with the
appropriate grass. That is guaranteed to produce uniform results.