Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,sci.bio.botany,alt.permaculture
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default What is the best plant to grow in shade?

On 7/12/06 17:58, in article
, "chatnoir"
wrote:

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
CoreyWhite wrote:
I need to know, because all year I've had a garden bed I made between a
few trees in my yard. And nothing will grow. I didn't realize how
important the sun actually is. But is there anything I can grow in my
garden?

There are a quite few plants that will live in the shade, some will have
reduced flowering or may grow very slowly. But you may still need some
more info to begin searching for candidates; water, temp zone, soil pH
as well as telling us if you want bushes, groundcover, vines, flowers,
foliage, and if you willing to plant in ground or move pots indoors for
the winter, etc. I have quite a bit of shade and have some plants doing
well, others I had poor luck with.

Had my best luck with Plants that come up early and do their thing
before the leaves come in!

You could try Hostas and Geraniums (not Pelargoniums) Vincas
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk