Old 08-12-2006, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,sci.bio.botany,alt.permaculture
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default What is the best plant to grow in shade?

CoreyWhite wrote:
I need to know, because all year I've had a garden bed I made between a
few trees in my yard. And nothing will grow. I didn't realize how
important the sun actually is. But is there anything I can grow in my
garden?

Clivia (bulb-like with striking bright orange flowers) is strictly a
shade plant. Camelia japonica is a flowering shrub for the shade; other
camelias will tolerate shade very well. Most azaleas do best with
shade, but many will tolerate a slight amount of sun. Wax-leaf begonias
do very well in the shade.

Of course, since you didn't indicate in what climate zone or
geographical area you are, it's possible none of these are suitable.

Since many newsgroup servers limit cross-posting, followups set to
rec.gardens.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean