Old 07-12-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran[_1_] Gail Futoran[_1_] is offline

Default So how do I kill off a heron thats eating my koi

"Gill Passman" wrote in message

As both herons and comorants eat primarily fish I very much doubt that
approach would work unless you set up a pond of sacrificial fish and made
it a bit more tempting than those you are trying to preserve.....it's the
fish they want....

That was kinda my idea. I have no idea if it's a practical idea! But
sometimes even good ideas come out of brainstorming. Or maybe I should have
said out of ignorance (mine).

It has to be said when watching
herons around the lake at the place I used to work they tended to be solo
operators but I don't know if this is the norm - but might explain why
placing a fake heron sculpture also seems to work with a smaller pond....

I've heard that, too. A friend sent me a lovely heron sculpture which I put
by my vulnerable in-ground pond. Don't know if it's made a difference, but
I only have minnows and a few goldfish in there.

but my guess is you'd need an awful lot of these around a
lake/loch....We're going up there just after christmas...now I can't wait
to interrogate the owner on his policy with this...along with an estimate
of how many fish he loses to herons and what the cost implications
are....and Yep, once I find out I will report back to rec.ponds even if it
isn't moderated....

I'm interested in what you find out.

Gill
rec.pond lurker since Nov 2003 and very occassional poster - don't have a
pond at the moment just a great interest in them

Gail
rec.ponder since April 2003