Old 07-12-2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tristan Tristan is offline

Default So how do I kill off a heron thats eating my koi

Its a myth that a heron owns or takes over a place. You may only see
one heron at a time in a small back yard pond byt on a pond of
sufificint size its not uncommon to see more than one.Just becaus
eherson are not seen during daylight hours does not mean they are not
out there at night time...they do a lot of their hunting at night when
your sleeping. Herons are plain sneaky.

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 20:25:18 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

As both herons and comorants eat primarily fish I very much doubt that
approach would work unless you set up a pond of sacrificial fish and
made it a bit more tempting than those you are trying to
preserve.....it's the fish they want....It has to be said when watching
herons around the lake at the place I used to work they tended to be
solo operators but I don't know if this is the norm - but might explain
why placing a fake heron sculpture also seems to work with a smaller
pond....but my guess is you'd need an awful lot of these around a
lake/loch....We're going up there just after christmas...now I can't
wait to interrogate the owner on his policy with this...along with an
estimate of how many fish he loses to herons and what the cost
implications are....and Yep, once I find out I will report back to
rec.ponds even if it isn't moderated....

Gill
rec.pond lurker since Nov 2003 and very occassional poster - don't have
a pond at the moment just a great interest in them