Old 07-12-2006, 10:47 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö[_3_] Köi-Lö[_3_] is offline

Default So how do I kill off a heron thats eating my koi

"Gill Passman" wrote in message

So maybe we have got, through sensible discussion, to the point that in a
commercial or large lake environment maybe shooting/killing is the best
option...on a smaller scale then the sculptures, sprays, nets and fences
will be the best option but it isn't the way to go on a large scale
environment....

This may be true but I have seen some large breeding establishments netted.
They don't care what it looks like as the fish and the environment are
what's most important. We chose the nets rather then having to constantly
watch the ponds to chase away the predators, or to kill them. Killing the
herons will do nothing for other predators you have in rural areas here in
the USA.

I think this a great example of how moderation could kill a good
discussion or how good moderation can allow this type of post to get
through and generate an intelligent conversation.....

That would be up to the moderators. If someone don't like someone else's
post they can ignore it and not reply. Or if the moderator can see it's
clearly designed to make people angry, they can refuse to pass it. Where to
draw the line - I have no idea.

it is to be hoped
that the moderators on the proposed rec.ponds.moderated can see that even
if a post starts off as being inflammatory it is still valid...

Right. Everyone else has the choice to reply or ignore such posts.

..and
sometimes I can see that playing devil's advocate by taking an unpopular
stance can provoke debate and discussion....

As long as it doesn't degenerate into personal attacks as you can see
flourish on this unmoderated group. If that's allowed, then having a
moderated group is a waste of time.

this IMO is a good
thing....and actually the point that the OP wanted to prove/discuss/bring
out into the open...

Nothing wrong with that........ the more ideas and questions the better in
my opinion.

I look forward to intelligent posts on this subject such as we are now
getting from all concerned....it gives me hope that this can continue....

It will be even better once the personal attacks are stopped and or removed
as I'm sure you would agree. ;-) Also, if those who constantly harass and
troll me are forced to keep one NYM, they can be killfiled.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

..