Old 07-12-2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö[_3_] Köi-Lö[_3_] is offline

Default So how do I kill off a heron thats eating my koi

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
Köi-Lö wrote:

"Gill Passman" wrote in message

So maybe we have got, through sensible discussion, to the point that in
a commercial or large lake environment maybe shooting/killing is the
best option...on a smaller scale then the sculptures, sprays, nets and
fences will be the best option but it isn't the way to go on a large
scale environment....

This may be true but I have seen some large breeding establishments
netted. They don't care what it looks like as the fish and the
environment are what's most important. We chose the nets rather then
having to constantly watch the ponds to chase away the predators, or to
kill them. Killing the herons will do nothing for other predators you
have in rural areas here in the USA.

I think that point is academic....you cannot net a loch or lake that is
many acres in size....

This is true. Not all the lakes they raise them in here are huge though.

appearance in these sort of applications are not
really an issue...the commercial raising of fish either Koi for resale or
trout for human consumption is lucrative......Yes you can watch a "small
pond" but not something on a larger scale....

I assure you you cannot watch a small pond either. You would go batty or
have to hire someone to sit there almost 24/7. :-) It just takes one trip
to the bathroom or the store for the local heron or water snake to gobble up
your best koi. Huge fish farms can afford to hire cheap labor to guard
their ponds. The rest of us don't have that option. Plus you shoot one and
another will almost immediately take it's place. We use to have 2 at the
ponds, one on the roof, one in a tree...... I kid you not! It was either
nets or give up on fish. And you already know we also had snapper turtles,
water shakes and huge bullfrogs to contend with.

That would be up to the moderators. If someone don't like someone else's
post they can ignore it and not reply. Or if the moderator can see it's
clearly designed to make people angry, they can refuse to pass it. Where
to draw the line - I have no idea.

Sometimes being contraversial and in fact posting something you don't
necessarily hold as an opinion opens the world up to healthy debate.

But too many times these debates degenerate into *personal* attacks or nasty
snipes at someone.

could post that I believe that fish fry are a valid food source for my
other fish and get flamed but it opens a debate as to how we see
this.....and it becomes an interesting on topic discussion....I might be
seen as being provoctive in saying this but I can always reserve the right
of playing devil's advocate in getting a healthy debate going....sometimes
doing this is good and it gets us all to examine our beliefs and
attitudes...

I agree.... but some NGs have those who can't control themselves and it
degenerates as mentioned above. They just have to go for someone's throat.

..I don't see in anyway that a moderated group
should lead to a supression of this sort of discussion - because it is
very valid and a dilemma that faces any type of fishkeeper....get rid of
the predator or sacrifice the fish - ever seen an angel with mollie
fry???? Ever seen a heron steal a prize fish????

YES! My own! Several hundred dollars worth before we netted the ponds.

where do we actually
draw our moral line.....discussing it is great and I am pleased that the
topic has been brought up...

It will be even better once the personal attacks are stopped and or
removed as I'm sure you would agree. ;-) Also, if those who constantly
harass and troll me are forced to keep one NYM, they can be killfiled.

I guess the whole thing is about everyone keeping one nym.....and a valid
reply to address....personal attacks will not happen on a moderated
group....and hey everyone can shift nyms and email addresses at the drop
of a hat as has been demonstrated by the mess on rec.ponds....you can all
also pretend to be one another....but the key really is where is the point
in playing these games if all you can do is post on topic?????

THERE YOU GO!!!!!!!!!!!! You got it lady! They're *all* stopped in their
tracks and the topic will be ponds again. :-)

yes, you can be traced but you can also filter and delete on your mail
application just the same way as you can on usenet...

You and several others know where my messages are coming from. You have my
legitimate ISP given e-mail address. Any of you can e-mail me any time you
want.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.