Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default newbie question on spider mites

On 7/12/06 21:48, in article
, "GH"
wrote:

There was no warantee; but I'm only hoping to get rid of the mites now.
Do you know if the advice to spray with a fish meal or kelp solution is
of any value?

I've just talked to my husband about this and he knows nothing about the
fish meal or kelp idea. He says that some years ago they used to spray
plants with liquid seaweed which is probably the same as kelp. The general
opinion was that it didn't cure the problem but controlled it to some
extent. As Bob has said, the spider mite thrives on dry, warm conditions.

If I change the earth, will I be able to use Phytoseiulus (if nothing
else works)?

Not if the chemical is still on the plant. Some are very persistent and
last for several weeks. Ray queries if the Phytoseilius you got were indeed
dead. Ours come in small plastic bottles and we shake them over the plants.
It is almost impossible to detect life or movement without a magnifying
glass and they look like large grains of white pepper with a salmony
coloured tinge to them. I'm just a bit concerned that you might have had
viable bio controls that you thought were dead and that the chemical spray
you then used killed them off!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk