Old 08-12-2006, 05:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Pronunciation

"Sue" wrote in message
"Des Higgins" wrote
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote Many people say TYnus

which
is probably "wrong" and is a very Anglophone pronunciation;

Even with an Irish line of ancestry I stills say Ty-nus.
snip
How about lichen?
Some same litchen but I always found liken to be much more manly

and
forceful; it is possible that both are wrong anyway.

This thread reminds me of an American woman discussing recipes,

talking
about about adding some ahrEGG-ano. It took me a few seconds to

realise
what she meant.

Here in Oz, there is one vineyard that sells a wine that is a Shiraz.
They've been in the wine buisness for about 150 years but they call it
SHYraz as do all the farmers in the area. Nice drop according to
those who drink and the vineyard has a good reputation nationally (and
internationally) but that's the name one hears if buying it at the
cellar door shop.