Old 08-12-2006, 06:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Wollemi Pine

"JennyC" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote
And of course given that some gardeners only have a pocket

hankerchief
sized garden then they have more desire to fiddle and change

things as
they have less work to do and more chance of getting bored than

those
who have a big garden.

big snip

There is also the aspect of seeing the whole of a very small garden

at one
glance. In a big garden you can have things that have gone over ,

which are
less visible.

LOL.

Although I understand what you mean, it's difficult to apply that
concept to many/most/all?? Australian gardens (large or small). The
standards that apply in British gardens just don't apply here for lots
of reasons (climate, water availability etc). By that I mean that as
things pass their best, they are just a part of the ongoing cycle of
the garden and the fading out has to be seen as a part of the overall
scene rather than having something coming on which will cover the
fading out plants.

As an illustration, the stepmother of a British born friend was
visiting our deep rural locale and a party was organised for her and
the father. At the party someone asked her how she liked Oz. In part
of her reply, she said that there were so many differences that she
noticed and one of them was that no-one in Oz did their edges. The
British born amongst the gathering (who also don't do their edges)
knew what she was talking about (as did I) but the rest of our rural
neighbours didn't have a clue what she was talking about.

in a tiny space - mines 6mt by 8mt - you see every weed, dead
twig etc. I tend to keep a lot of stuff in pots so that I can

rearrange
things as they go over.

To me that seems like such a small area, but then you can keep
something that size looking lovely all the time by doing as you
describe.

My one tree in the garden is a large Rhus in a huge pot :~)) It's

has
sentimental value as it came from a runner from our old house. And

at least
it's architectural in winter :~))

I'll bet it also looks good at other times too. Trees in pots can be
such a nice feature if the plant and the pot are in the right
location.