Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman[_1_] Gill Passman[_1_] is offline

Default So how do I kill off a heron thats eating my koi

Gail Futoran wrote:

There should be an option for moderators to return a submitted post to the
OP with the suggestion that inflammatory or abusive language be removed and
the post resubmitted.

Agreed....it also means that a poster needs to use a valid email
address....I guess if they make a contraversial post with a fake address
then the post would just remain removed - and so it should be.

If you use the argument that *any* post can contain a useful gem that some
reasonable person down the line will help to morph into useful information,
then we might as well have no moderation whatsoever.

Not entirely what I was saying.....I guess what I am trying to say is
any "on-topic" post can generate an intelligent discussion - I'm
certainly not saying *any* post. Personally I would prefer it if a post
that deliberately sets out to inflame is returned to the submitter to
tone it down and ask the question in a way that would generate the
discussion....even if I strongly disagree with what is being
proposed...If a post is rejected subjectively (and without giving the OP
the opportunity to resubmit in acceptable language) then it would call
into question the neutral stance of the moderators - one example would
be whether bad advice should be moderated or not - OK there are times
when advice given is bad and this should be corrected on the newsgroup
by the posters - and moderators are also posters - and we also have to
understand that one person may feel the advice is bad but others will
have other experiences from following the same advice - healthy debate
without resorting to insults is exactly what a moderated group should be
about.

On the other hand, good moderation should actually encourage discussion,
because then people will feel confident that they can discuss what interests
them - even if their views are seen as silly or impractical by some -
without being personally attacked, for no reason other than that the
attacker knows he/she can get away with it - in an unmoderated group.

Agreed.....read this bit again after writing the above - I think we are
on the same wave length on this :-)

That's just my opinion, and is something that should be brought up, both pro
and con, during the RFD.

Gail
rec.ponder since April 2003

It is good that there are people willing to dedicate their time (long
term) to this project and you all have my support in your efforts

Gill