Old 08-12-2006, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Wollemi Pine

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

Plant labels! Now that is a subject that makes me very cross! I
dunno about the UK, but here the trend in plant labelling seems
designed to mislead or keep people ignorant.

For example, Alstromerias here are being sold under the name of
"Princess Lilly" and nowhere on the label could a mug garden find

out
it's real name. I was so cross when I saw this that I simply

refused
to buy some that I would rather like in my garden. Since they

cope so
well with dry conditions I thought that they'd make a useful

addition
to my drought ravaged garden but I simply won't encourage the

plant
producers shoddy behaviour by buying them.

You are lucky to get even that info on a plant. Many of the local
supermarket plants are just labelled "Herbaceous perennial" or

"Houseplant".
I once asked for the actual name and the assistant grabbed the label

and
said it was called Herbaceous.

Snort! If it wasn't so sad, it'd be funny.