Old 08-12-2006, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
GH GH is offline

Default newbie question on spider mites

I bought the Phytoseiulus in June when I had the first spider mite
invasion on the basil and French beans. Because we wanted to eat the
beans and the basil I only tried organic control methods - (planted
garlic in the pots, sprayed with stinging nettles and horsetail and
alternatively with soapy water; in the end as a last resort I bought
the Phytoseiulus and poured them over the soil). I assumed they were
dead because I couldn't see much improvement over the following months
but they might have died also after arrival because we had high
temperatures this summer.

It probably takes time to learn how to have healthy potted plants. I
never had problems before with the amaryllis hippeastrum. Probably
different climates have different effects and I didn't realize when we
moved here. It's a pity.

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll wait and try again with
phytoseiulus in the spring; organic methods could be the most efficient
as all my plants are in open air on the balcony most of the year.