Old 08-12-2006, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Pronunciation

On 8/12/06 10:20, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they

pronouce
tinus?

IMHO every language has its own bias in pronoucing latin words - and
seen as latin is no longer a spoken language, there is only a very
limited ability to provide a "correct" benchmark.

Yep, agreed. I know that from my own (limited) attempts to learn
Latin.

Having said all that, how do you pronounce "tinus"?

I would say teenus - just don't ask me why :-)
BTW, I would say Vayebernem, too, because I've been here just *too*
long, and only got interested in gardening since becoming a full-time
anglophone :-)

I'm puzzled by the Vayeburnum thing. We pronounce it Veyeburnum tyenus,
though I'm sure 'teenus' is correct, thinking of the Latin pronunciation of
'i'. Or do you mean 'aye' as in 'aye aye sir'? ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk