Old 08-12-2006, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Pronunciation

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
s.com...

Sacha wrote:
On 8/12/06 10:20, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they
pronouce
tinus?

IMHO every language has its own bias in pronoucing latin words - and
seen as latin is no longer a spoken language, there is only a very
limited ability to provide a "correct" benchmark.

Yep, agreed. I know that from my own (limited) attempts to learn
Latin.

Having said all that, how do you pronounce "tinus"?

I would say teenus - just don't ask me why :-)
BTW, I would say Vayebernem, too, because I've been here just *too*
long, and only got interested in gardening since becoming a full-time
anglophone :-)

I'm puzzled by the Vayeburnum thing. We pronounce it Veyeburnum tyenus,
though I'm sure 'teenus' is correct, thinking of the Latin pronunciation
of
'i'. Or do you mean 'aye' as in 'aye aye sir'? ;-)

I do... eye is indeed a better spelling to convey the intended
phonetics.

And at the risk of repeating myself, I would not get too excited about
what is "correct" and "incorrect" pronounciation. Not too many native
speakers about to put us straight on that one... Surely, for a
horticulturalist, or indeed a pedestrian such as I, the most important
thing is to get the name of the plant right.

For some obscure reason, this reminds me of the priceless passage in
the Life of Brian, when the roman centurion punishes Brian for his poor
latin grammar when grafiting "Romans go Home"

T'must be Friday.

Cat(h)

It is Friday. Did we decide how to pronounce Garage. Most folk round here
pronounce it Garidge-but the Cynthia Bucket lot say Ga rhaj.