Old 08-12-2006, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Pronunciation

On 8/12/06 12:33, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
It is Friday. Did we decide how to pronounce Garage. Most folk round here
pronounce it Garidge-but the Cynthia Bucket lot say Ga rhaj.

I'm a bit schizophrenic on that one. Most of the locals here say
garidge, and I sometimes revert to type and say garahj (not so much the
Bucket as the Dupont in me).
I was going to say that it is Hiacynth, not Cynthia, Bucket and then it
struck me that one is the mirror image of the other.

It definitely *is* Friday.

Cat(h)

Jilly Cooper's very funny book 'Class' says that the upper classes and
working classes have more in common than either has with the middle class.
One of those things is the pronunciation of the place you park your car and
both says 'garidj'. And neither give a damn what others think of them ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk