Old 08-12-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Pronunciation

On 8/12/06 14:05, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes:

| Jilly Cooper's very funny book 'Class' says that the upper classes and
| working classes have more in common than either has with the middle class.
| One of those things is the pronunciation of the place you park your car and
| both says 'garidj'. And neither give a damn what others think of them ;-)

Not to say that both are damn near extinct nowadays!

I think the lines are a lot more blurred than they were but it's surprising
how vituperative people can be about how others speak, the newspapers they
read, the sort of school they went to etc. In some ways, class is still
alive and kicking in UK but a lot of it seems to be based on jealousy or
perhaps, insecurity, IMO.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk