Old 23-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Anna Merchant

Default Unused diaper filler for moisture conservation in veggie garden

I have found the addition of most natural kitty litters made from zeolite,
attapulgite, or bentonite will make a cheap moisture retentive addition to
any soil that you have. All these are natural minerals, and will not upset
the soil. Check the bag of the kitty litter and it should tell you what it
is made of. Zeolite is by far the best, but the other two will work as well.

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?

"Greg Peterson" wrote in message
Hi all,
I have what may sound like a silly question. I am putting together a

couple
raised beds for a veggie garden and I would like to construct the bed to
conserve water as much as possible. I know that you can buy the super
absorbent polymers too add to soil that will soak up the water and then
release it again when the soil dries out. Granted, these are for smaller
flower pots, but I don't see any reason why the concept wouldn't work on a
larger scale. Unfortunately, given the size of the raised beds, using

these
advertised materials would be cost prohibitive. So, I was thinking that
disposable diapers also contain super absorbent polymers that are not as
expensive as the garden variety. I was thinking that I could rip the
batting out of the diapers and mix it into the soil.

My concern is that 1) the diaper polymers may release undesired chemicals
into the soil that would either harm the plants or get into the food, and

2)
the type of polymer in the diaper is such that it would not release the
moisture readily.

Does anyone know of any data on this subject? I can't believe that I am

the
first to have thought about it. Any other alternatives to consider?
Thanks.

Greg