Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Bogus RFD rec.pond.moderated

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 16:29:29 -0600, Zëbulon wrote:

See above. What's norm in your pond may not be the norm in mine and I now
have hundreds of worthless fish to prove it. Where's that researcher now?
Does it jive with the research? I'd like to wring their necks. If
information doesn't jive with your (not you in particular) beliefs then join
in for Pete's sake, nothing wrong with that, but don't try and make the
person look like an idiot because something else worked for them - or what
they say doesn't jive with some research or something read somewhere in some
book or website. :-) I hope you can see my point.

Lots of times (most of the time?) it isn't the research or the researcher.
Research and the results of research are often quite mundane and boring.
The "they" is usually someone in between the researcher and the public. It
may be as overt as a feed company spinning results into something favorable
to their product, or it may be a reporter looking for a simple, glamorous
subject. I don't deny that there is the occasional researcher that edits
their data, but more often than not rotten information is simply the
assertion of someone who may have done little or no research.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Illiterate? Write for FREE help