Old 10-12-2006, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default FA: Great Horned Owl bird and pest control

wrote:

The parents have had a few owls (Don't remember the variety) that
have taken to roosting in a pine tree outside my dad's workshop.
My sister got curious and "dissected" a few of the owl pellets and
discovered that the were eating more crayfish than mice.

Well I'll be darned. I would have never thought that an owl would learn
to catch crayfish. Of course, here, crayfish are strictly aquatic. Could
it be that in your area there are crayfish that venture onto land at
night? I do remember once in Southern Ohio seeing holes in a muddy lake
shore that seemed to have been inhabited by crayfish.

Steve