Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default Seeding in cold weather

"john" wrote in message
it was suggested to me to plant some annual rye around the lot where
damage was sustained due to work on one of the outbuildings and to resed
with fescue when warm weather returns.
It gets into the fifties and rains some about every ten to 14 days.
Will the rye really germinate in this environment?

Certainly - but the "annual rye" I planted a few years ago was hard to get
rid of the next year. Didn't act the way I thought "annual" would.
I'm thinking I would go with regular grass seed right now. It's a lot
colder here but I went with a $20 bag from Walmart when it was down around
50's here and it's doing well.