Old 10-12-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Olives

On 9/12/06 18:39, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 9/12/06 18:18, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Ray has just brought me 4 big, fat black olives from our (indoor) tree.
So
that's us okay for oil this winter. ;-))
--

Don't be so ungrateful Sacha. The poor chap realised a partridge in a
pear

Tsk tsk. You underestimate my husband! This is the man who, when his
daughter brought an ornament of a rhino home from Africa and placed it on
windowsill, scattered several currants in an artistic arrangement of
little
heaps and trails behind it. He said it was days before anyone noticed.
I'm just a teensy bit amused because olive trees are the 'in thing' atm
and
we do get people asking how to harvest and preserve them and if we managed
4
this year after a long hot spell in a greenhouse......... ;-) However,
with
global warming, no doubt the laugh will be on........our 20 times removed
successors!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

After the currants episode he realised he was not married to a domestic
goddess:-)

Not guilty, m'lud. That was before my time!

The olive tree thing does amuse me also. I keep seeing mature gnarled trees
for sale at astronomical prices. Not particularly attractive trees and the
foliage is even worse.
I suppose if you need the large gnarled effect then they are cheaper than
buying bonsai.

I love old olive trees but I do wonder if people buying them now realise how
long theyıll take to get like that.