Old 10-12-2006, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default yew attack

"Muddymike" wrote in message
We had a really nice day here yesterday, unlike today which is foul.
So I took the opportunity to attack two of our overgrown Yew trees
with the chainsaw. What a job that turned out to be, cutting them
down was OK, it was the clearing up that was a PITA. I just did not
realise what bulk of branches was up there. I tackled one bough at a
time, first cut it down then cut it into manageable pieces and drag
them up the drive to a suitable corner of the garden for burning. I
must have walked miles dragging branches. Two were overhanging the
greenhouse so, using a ladder I attached a rope high up, then onto
the Land Rover, apply tension away from greenhouse, cut, big crack,
and watch them fall safely away. The resulting pile of branches is
far too big to burn in one go so I shall have to separate it into a
smaller pile for lighting then feed the rest on. That job can wait a
few months when it should be nicely dried out.

Mike

Tell a few local woodturners, they'll take some of the bigger pieces.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp