Old 10-12-2006, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Olives

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:27:20 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 9/12/06 18:18, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Ray has just brought me 4 big, fat black olives from our (indoor) tree.
So
that's us okay for oil this winter. ;-))

snip
I'm just a teensy bit amused because olive trees are the 'in thing' atm and
we do get people asking how to harvest and preserve them and if we managed 4
this year after a long hot spell in a greenhouse......... ;-) However, with
global warming, no doubt the laugh will be on........our 20 times removed
successors!

Our olive tree (outside in a pot on the patio) has quite a large crop of
small olives - just turning from green to black.

Presumably a hardier variety which produces small fruit instead of the big
oily ones.

If I had the time I would quite fancy collecting them and processing them,
but I understand it is a long and laborious process.

Last year's olives stayed on the tree well into this year, mind you, so
there may yet be time :-)

Cheers

Dave R