Old 10-12-2006, 11:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default Bogus RFD rec.pond.moderated

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
~ janj wrote:

It could be consider inflammatory, yet it doesn't call anyone any nasty
names. I'd have to pass it, but than would *I*, as a moderator, be
considered bias because the above poster just happens to agree with me?
~ jan

IMO you should post it if you become a moderator....part of an ongoing
discussion with valid points - I don't actually see this as inflammatory -
just disagreeing with the comments being made....and there are no insults
contained within - just a difference of opinion.....Sameways if I posted
this on the same topic I would expect it to get posted (and I don't need
to own a pond to do so)

And would she or you post my message also even though it points out how
flawed some research is and how deadly it proved for some people? And how
well my fish did on the cheaper foods? There was nothing inflammatory in
what I posted either.

It easy to argue that a certain type of food produces large and fat
fish...

Fat was used as an expression. Well FLESHED is a better word. Young fish
must carry reserves to make it through the winter in zone 6. These fish are
not only undersized but too thin with little to no reserves. Where was the
research on these expensive foods done? What zone? How many cold months
were they forced to endure without food? Did they have access as my pond
fish do to algae, insects and whatever else falls in? Were they in sterile
ponds with nothing but the expensive and cheap chows being fed? I can't
seem to find that answer so easily.

but then again you can look at a human fed on junk food all of
their life - large and fat - healthy I very much doubt it....but then
again it will depend on the quality of the "inappropiate food" being
fed....if it is designed to produce well nourished puppies and kitties
then maybe it will not cause fish to become obese but potentially is
missing essential nutrients for the species of creature you are feeding
and so therefore not suitable - the nutritional requirements of all are
different but generally we tend to make this decision based on species

Well if anything is MISSING from these feeds they're sure supplying enough
of these *missing elements* to produce healthy fry that made it through our
zone 6 winters in great shape. And it made the parent fish healthy enough
to lay healthy eggs well into summer. :-))) If these are unhealthy fish
I'd like to see healthy ones!

- one creatures good is another creatures bad....my fish don't get my cat
food - my cat sure enjoys any spilt fish food....I'm not about to start
feeding either on food nutritienly made up for either (and it has to be
said it would get well expensive feeding my cat on fish food - volume
speaks for itself) - manufactured feeds are designed for the
animal/creature in question.....

And the formulas keep changing. What the feed co. called their best food
this year is sold next year with a "new and improved" label on it. The year
after that they'll have again improved it. The fish at the Zoo in Flushing
Meadows Park in NY were fed mostly popcorn, bits of kid's hot dogs, corn
meant for the ducks, etc. when I lived there,... and those suckers were 3'
long! How can that be explained? I never saw a dead ones floating or any
that appeared sick.

I don't need to have a pond to make this post - it's still on-topic and
contains no attacks....

There is nothing wrong with a disagreement as long as BOTH sides are
presented, not just the side of the moderator/s.

Gill

--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.