Old 11-12-2006, 12:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Catkins on the trees.

David WE Roberts writes
Hi,

I have noticed that a lot of trees near where I work have catkins on them.

Are the catkins 'out', ie dispersing pollen, or are they merely forming
ready to come out in spring? The latter is normal.

I thought that this was a late winter/early spring thing normally.

Googling suggests that some trees do have catkins in winter but I don't
remember this many in previous years (but then again my memory isn't what
it Thursday?)

I also saw a butterfly zoom part yesterday, which again seems unusual.

Are we seriously out of synchronisation with the seasons?

No, but we've had a particularly warm autumn and are currently having a
warm winter.

And if so, with the frosts starting, is everything in for an unpleasant
shock?

Possibly, but things often get a shock, eg with late spring frosts.
--
Kay