Old 11-12-2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default So how do I kill off a heron thats eating my koi

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Gail Futoran wrote:

"Gill Passman" wrote in message

Agreed....it also means that a poster needs to use a valid email
address....I guess if they make a contraversial post with a fake address
then the post would just remain removed - and so it should be.

Damn. I hadn't thought about that one. However,...

In a case like mine (and Ed Aston's) where the trolls use legitimate address
to impersonate their "targets" and/or post to porn sites and groups, there
is no way a legitimate address should have to be given. Isn't this part of
the reason for a moderated group - to avoid these things from continuing?
All those who appear to be moderators here have my legitimate e-mail
address.

I use an invalid email address to post. It's obvious to any individual
what they need to do to send me email, but is that something we ought to
be
asking moderators to do? I don't know the answer. I do know that if I
can't use a munged (I think that's the term) email addy when posting
online to minimize spam in my inbox, then I'm going to have to rethink
posting online, and I'd rather not do that.

Not a problem, I think. If every email has to be valid (if they want
moderated posts returned) the software should be able to mung the email
addresses.

Why have the person's email address show at all? Surely the software can be
set to eliminate e-mail addresses or mung them to the point of being useless
to spam-bots and trolls.

--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.