Old 11-12-2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default So how do I kill off a heron thats eating my koi

Gill Passman wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

Not a problem, I think. If every email has to be valid (if they want
moderated posts returned) the software should be able to mung the email
addresses.

I hadn't thought of that - email addies munged by the moderation
software sounds a good idea....I wonder how far this could be taken -
would it, for example, be possible for only the robo-moderation software
to know the "real addresses" of posters - so if a post is returned it
automatically unmungs the address without a human being ever having to
know the true address?

Not sure about that.

Just throwing out ideas here - don't even know if any software is out
there capable of doing this. Some people have a more protective stance
on their email addresses than others - and this in itself might put them
off a moderated group...or would the moderators feel that if they are
trusted enough to moderate the group they should be trusted to have all
the "real" email addresses of posters? Or would the munging be so
obvious that everyone could work out the address anyway? Or does any of
this matter to the average poster?

It might not matter to the average poster but it will matter to _some_
posters, and it _should_ matter to the moderators. It occurs to me that
privacy laws in many places actually require us to say exactly how we will
use (and protect - or not: in some places it's ok not to protect personal
information but the suppliers of that information need to know that is what
happens) these addresses.
--
derek