Old 11-12-2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tristan Tristan is offline

Default Bogus RFD rec.pond.moderated

I harvest my koi and cook em on the grill too, so who says they are
not meant to be harvested. Maybe I need to pull a few culls and have
em put on some fast extra weight so they make the grill appointment in
a shorter time frame. Don;t forget USENET is not stricktly related to
folks in what is deemed industrialized countries it also goes to
poverty stricken thrid and lower class countries where a feast on Fido
or Morris the cat is just as welcome as carving up that Turkey or a
$50,000 GC koi they managed to get their hands on. Perhaps CArol needs
to go to some thrid world o****ry and do some long term
experimentation on feeding koi cheap food.

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:37:31 -0400, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Zëbulon wrote:

No Jan. I will *not* take offense if a food your fish thrived on left me
with several hundred undersized fry. It just proves to me one more time
how
unreliable (and sometimes deadly) *research* can be and often is.

Undersized by what standard?

One of the oft-stated problems with catfish & trout food is that it is
designed to cause a fish to put on weight as fast as possible, so that it
can be harvested as fast as possible.

Koi are not intended for harvesting. Your comparisons, while qualifying as
research, are not well-designed research. Koi have life spans up to a
century. If the ones fed on high-priced food live an average of 80 years,
and the ones fed on catfish chow average only 20 years, then it's not as
good - but it'll be a long time before you can show your catfish chow is as
good as high-priced food for the long term.

-------