Old 12-12-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.ponds
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default Bogus RFD rec.pond.moderated

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Zëbulon wrote:

That is not what I meant Derek. I can't seem to make myself clear. :*(
Research is necessary and I realize that. But research done yesterday,
claiming what is GOOD for us may be superseded by even NEWER research
tomorrow disproving these truths. Meanwhile, how many people were harmed
taking the research as gospel? Knowing what one researcher claims can be
disproved by different researcher, why take it as gospel?

Gospel, never, but because essentially science is a collaborative field,
it's not unreasonable to put a degree of faith in the results. By the
time
science in the field of health is deemed acceptably well researched to be
applied to the public, a great many scientists have seen the data and had
chance to disprove it. Unfortunately the HRT experience proved that a
number of unreasonable assumptions had never been questioned - but even
scientists are human.

Exactly. But it's not just the hormones Derek. This applies to many other
areas as well, and that's what makes me suspicious of research results they
come up with. How is it every dog food company claims their research,
tests, etc shows their food is the best? How can they all be the best?

Mistakes will happen, and one reason this one did is
that after the thalidomide disaster researchers and ethics boards have
been
extremely reluctant to test drugs on women.

Trans-fats is easy - we keep narrowing down the list of inputs and
separating out those that are bad from those that aren't (but aren't
necessarily _good_).

But this applies to feeds as well. I remember when I first got online I was
told goldfish were primarily vegetarians and to keep the protein low and
blah, blah..... now it seems it's the opposite. High protein foods are
the way to go. See where I'm coming from? Next month I may be seeing that
high protein damages their [take your choice of an organ] and to keep
protein below xx %. I now take it all with grain of salt. Speaking of
salt. We all remember those debates. :-)

I have little faith in Doctors - but I still know that I want to see one
if
I break a leg and probably if I find a tumor.

This is true. I have little faith in them myself. An online Dr. from
another Forum saved me from having painful surgery on my feet (fasciitis) a
few years ago. All it took were simple exercises to stretch the fasiia that
could be done at home for free. This save our insurance company thousands
and myself a lot of pain and down time. Greed anyone? The exercises
wouldn't have made my Dr a dime.

Which all neatly sidesteps the issue of feeding cheap food to pricey koi.

Anyone who can afford *pricey koi* and plans to live to an advanced age,
....well, they probably don't care what the fish food costs or how fast their
fry grow. ;-)
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.