Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 AM posted to rec.ponds
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default Dragonflies

"Lar" wrote in message
Zëbulon wrote:

==============================
I don't see the original of this message from Galen. (?) The dragon
flies disappear from my ponds before the cold weather arrives in the
fall. The last insects of the year are a few moths fluttering around the
outside lights and the sad chirp of those last crickets before the first
good frost finishes them off.

I'm in the Dallas area and we have had a couple of hard freezes this year
already but it was in the 70's today and I noticed a dragon fly buzzing
about a backyard I was working in today.

Lar

===============================
We're in middle TN. We already had a few good killing frosts here. Today it
reached 65F. I didn't see any insects at all. As we hauled firewood to the
pile I did see and hear a sparrow hawk. I was wondering where all the birds
went. Our feeders were full but few birds today. There's still a coating
of ice on the ponds from those nights that were in the teens.

I just went outside to plug in the Xmas lights and it's dead silent out
there. Not even a cricket.

--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.