Old 12-12-2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help -- how to design landscape

"Mark" wrote in message
I know, kind of a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. I'm located
in Charlotte, NC, zone 7.

We're in new construction. Our lot is a rectangle. Small, about 60' wide
by about 130' deep. House take up most of it and in the backyard we have
an inground pool with a wood deck around it. We put in a fence and it's an
aluminum black wrought iron looking thing, 4 feet tall. Unfortunately the
fence was decided upon and put in before the pool was put in.

With such small lots our neighbors are really close and there's minimal
privacy.

I can't help with design ideas, but I can suggest some books that will be a
HUGE help with regard to plant selection. Both by the late Henry Mitchell,
who was the garden writer for the Washington Post:

"One Man's Garden"
"The Essential Earthman"

They're an easy read. Each chapter represents one of his newspaper columns.
His plant descriptions come from actual experience in what sounded like a
very challenging garden in a neighborhood with smaller properties than
yours. And, since he discusses things that grew well (or not) in Washington
DC, they should be applicable to your climate too.