Old 12-12-2006, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Can anyone recommend a distance learning course?

Clarice wrote:
Completely new to news groups, full stop, so I hope I get this right
and am posting in the right place!
I am very keen to train as a garden designer, but because or
work/family commitments I can't attend college. I've recently had an
awful experience with a correspondence college (The Garden Design
Institute) - the course material was awful, the tuition almost
non-existent and it turns out its not really an institute at all in the
sense I thought ... well I won't bore you with the gory details.
Suffice it to say my confidence has plummeted to an all time low and
I'm a few hundred quid poorer. I was going to give up on the idea all
together but hubbie has convinced me to have another go, since this has
been my dream for so many years now.
We can't afford to spend money on another bum course, so I was hoping
someone could recommend one from personal experience? I need a good
college with excellent tuition and, preferably, not costing too much
... tall order, I know... here's hoping...

I've just ambarked upon a garden design course with the KLC School of
Design in Chelsea as a distance learning student and I have spoken to
my tutor, I have received all materials, all are very comprehensive and
the overall course is superb. I've spent a lot of time in the last
couple of days drawing out a timetable and went through the 5 modules
and my thought about my study process is clear. I'm very happy )

I've finished an RHSII and a Permaculture certificate and both are
unvaluable to this course, however 2 out of 5 of the KLC modules are
covering quite a fair amount of studies that I had done in my previous
courses though not as thoroughly but if you are passionate and love
what you do I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. I would recommend this
course - I have seen many graduates designs and the work is excellent.
I work in an urban design consultancy and I know what I want to do and
what to expect in design - KLC gives me just what I wanted if not more.

Also if you want quality you must pay for it - the college has
financial options to make life a bit easier for you.

http://www.klc.co.uk/Open/