Old 12-12-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] robertharvey@my-deja.com is offline

Default How much oxygen do plants give off?

wrote:
Can someone direct me to a newsgroup that discusses the relationship
between plants and animals? Specifically, I want to know the
contribution of oxygen from plants and how much of it is consumed by
animals, which plants give off the most oxygen, which animals breathe
out the most CO2, etc. I want to do some brainstorming for biospheric
research :-)

It won't be a huge amount. Atmospheric oxygen and CO2 were very
consistent during most of the pre-industrial age. My understanding is
that during the day photosynthesis yields an amount of oxygen, but at
night nearly all of it is taken up again. The tiny balance sees CO2
tied up as hydrocarbons, but event those include some oxygen.