Old 12-12-2006, 11:55 PM posted to aus.gardens
Cynthia Cynthia is offline

Default Kangaroo Paw: Bush Gem problem

Several of the new flowers on my Bush Gem have cream-coloured crumbly tops
to the flowers where they were once red. It covers about 3/5 of the flower
starting at the tip and stopping a little short of the base of the flower
head.

This white section has completely come away on several flowers, making them
look as though they've been snipped down to a butt and leaving a narrow
white ring on the rim of each severed flower.

I had been watering them fairly lightly before and recently decided to
change to deep heavier watering. Could it be a water issue or is it
something else?

The new set of flowers which have replaced the first set (which were there
when I bought the plants), are much smaller that the original set, with
fewer buds on each stem.

Cynthia.