Old 13-12-2006, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Suggestions of gardening books for Christmas?

judith lea wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?
Thank you in advance!
Cat(h)

Cath , a really useful book is the hardback EHS Encyclopaeda of
Gardening by Christopher Bricael. I have it and bought it from Amazon
- here is what they said about it:

This reference book gives photographic explanations of every gardening
technique and has more than 500 separate step-by-step sequences.
Written by a team of international experts over three years, its range
and depth illustrates authoritative and up-to-date practical gardening
skills from simple to advanced. There are four major sections. Part one
covers all the different plant groups and areas of the garden, advising
on the uses of the plants, soil preparation, planting, maintenance,
pruning and propagation. The chapters include: ornamental trees and
shrubs, climbers, the rose garden, perennials, annuals and biennials,
the rock garden, the water garden, cacti, the herb and vegetable
gardens and fruit. Part two gets to grips with the practicalities of
tools and equipment, greenhouses and frames, and garden structures and
surfaces. Part three covers successful cultivation and propagation
techniques by looking at the climate and how to protect plants, soil
types and fertilizers, treating pests and diseases - including organic
methods of treatment alongside conventional or chemical controls, plant
problems, and dealing with weeds. Part four contains seasonal
reminders, and a glossary and index which includes common names.

and another one, which I do not have but might buy is:

The Complete Gardener
By Monty Don

Hardcover- 440 pages
Dorling Kindersley (2003)
ISBN: 075136441X

Indicative price (confirm before purchase): £17.50
GoodGardenBooks RatingGoodGardenBooks RatingGoodGardenBooks
RatingGoodGardenBooks Rating

Packed with practical advice, this volume breathes new life into every
aspect of gardening. Drawing directly on the experience gained from his
own organic plot in Herefordshire, Monty Don explains how a sustainable
approach to gardening is the way forward for all keen gardeners. The
book features photograhs taken over the course of a year in Monty's own
garden, showing you how to grow strong, healthy plants and harvest
delicious produce while respecting the needs of the environment.
Straightforward, practical advice and step-by-step photographs combine
to show best practice in food and flowers, from composting and pest
management to sowing, planting and harvesting fruit and vegetables, and
which varieties to choose for the most successful results. Good design
is also emphasized, with advice on using colour, shape and texture in
the flower garden

I buy a lot of books from Amazon, I have just bought one about the
chemistry of cooking for my husband - I could spend a lot of time
browsing their site for books, it's as good as visiting a library, the
only thing missing is that lovely smell of books.

These are good suggestions. Thank you.

Cat(h)