Old 13-12-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default B+Q Christmas Trees?outdoors

On 13/12/06 13:07, in article
, "judith lea"

Went into my local B+Q to purchase a potted Christmas Tree, with the
intention of planting it out in the garden latter. ALL the
trees(varieties) had on the label"Not suitable for replanting
outdoors". Why is this ??

Where I live, in Norfolk, there is a huge estate of Christmas trees,
they were being cut down in late October and some were uprooted and
left with bare roots for planting in pots. It is some weeks since then
but a few remain that will be sent to retailers, the bare roots are
still bare so it is unlikely that after potting up they will survive.

Somewhere at the back of my mind - and I do hope I'm wrong - there is a
faint memory that they're treated at the roots so as not to survive outside.
I don't see how that can be but it's just a notion I have that I've read
that somewhere.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk