Old 13-12-2006, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith lea judith lea is offline

Default B+Q Christmas Trees?outdoors

PB wrote:

There is a story that the suppliers dip the roots in boiling water to
stop them growing. The chances of a tree surviving after a couple of
weeks indoors in a pot are slim to none. Can you imagine anyone being
fool enough to drag a boiler into the forest just to stop the odd one or
two trees growing?

The trees that are cut from this ginormous estate, over many,many miles
are taken to a central place where they are put into mesh stuff, which
I can see from the road, so I suppose, in theory, they could have their
roots blanched. I suppose I could ask the Land Agent but I expect he
will not tell me!

On second thoughts I think it is unlikely that they do this blanching
as even untreated, the trees are unlikely to survive in excess of 8
weeks out of the ground?