Old 13-12-2006, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default B+Q Christmas Trees?outdoors

On 13/12/06 17:19, in article
, "judith lea"
wrote:

PB wrote:

There is a story that the suppliers dip the roots in boiling water to
stop them growing. The chances of a tree surviving after a couple of
weeks indoors in a pot are slim to none. Can you imagine anyone being
fool enough to drag a boiler into the forest just to stop the odd one or
two trees growing?

The trees that are cut from this ginormous estate, over many,many miles
are taken to a central place where they are put into mesh stuff, which
I can see from the road, so I suppose, in theory, they could have their
roots blanched. I suppose I could ask the Land Agent but I expect he
will not tell me!

On second thoughts I think it is unlikely that they do this blanching
as even untreated, the trees are unlikely to survive in excess of 8
weeks out of the ground?

Economically, it's just not worth it, either. Imagine the time that would
take up? We have two huge Christmas tree farms near us and nothing is done
to their bare rooted trees.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk