Old 13-12-2006, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith lea judith lea is offline

Default Can anyone recommend a distance learning course?

Charlie Pridham wrote:

It is up to the reader to determine the rightness or otherwise of answers
and information given. It is pointless for posters to squabble over it.
As pruning apples is a very flexible art it serves no purpose other than to
confuse, to keep referring to an answer without showing the question.
You can prune an overgrown apple tree at any time of year if it needs it,
depends completely on why you are pruning it in the first place. On the
other hand if you have a restricted form of apple then most people would
like me prune them in August. while older more established standards etc
would normally be pruned in winter between leaf drop and bud burst which is
a 4 month window.
If you don't agree then do as I do and ignore the post!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

Thank you Charlie, you have confirmed what I meant, I prune late
Autumn/Winter as this is appropriate for my trees. Actually, I don't
prune them personally, my gardener does and I trust his opinion which
is accurate and mirrors yours.